Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gorman/Holbert B&W conversion

Greg Gorman (1949 - ) is an American portrait photographer of Hollywood celebrities. His work has been seen in magazine features and covers. These include Esquire, GQ, Interview, Life, Vogue, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, Time, Vanity Fair, and the London Sunday Times.[1] Although he studied photojournalism in college, his passion for rock and roll led him to his chosen field when he photographed Jimi Hendrix in 1968.[2] John Waters once said "Greg Gorman is the only person I’d let photograph my corpse" He primarily works in black and white.

He has also directed music videos, television advertisements, and graphic design layouts for advertisers. - from wikepedia


if you think converting your photos to black in white is just one click on your photo editing software, well it might be true. but in order for us to achieve the desired monochromatic image we need to add some tonality in our grayscaled image. i tried creating my own workflow for my adobe photoshop and lightroom about creating a nice black and white photo. and with continuous research ive found some tips on how to achieved that nice monochrome image. i found this workflow by gorman and holbert B&W conversion on gorman's website. the instructions seem so hard to follow and it took me around 1 hour to decypher some of his instruction. hehe. anyhow im sharing this workflow. its on .pdf format. my friend kenneth still looking for the option button his photoshop. haha! all i can say is "im not going to share my created action in photoshop" haha!

so if you love black and white photos, you may try experementing on this workflow. download it here



sample of my black and white image using this work flow.
pls share your thoughts and comments.
email me at lorenzomyhero@gmail.com


credit goes to shuttercore for my portrait. shuttercore.multiply.com
location: lipa cathedral


No comments: